Friday, January 6, 2012

A New Look

Today I wanted to share an easy DIY project I completed over the Holidays for one of my clients, I am re-doing the bedroom of a 7 year-old girl and I am so excited to give her a her very own big girl room , that will include: a new bed, a desk, tons of storage and plenty of room to display her artwork. Working with a small budget I decided to get creative and complete some cool projects for the space. I took the paint swatch down to the fabric shop and found a sweet floral print fabric to recover a basic cream colored chair the family had. Here are photographs and instructions on how to re-cover a chair.

What you need for the project:
  • Chair
  • Fabric
  • Staple Gun
  • New Foam Padding (if needed)
    Chair Before:

The existing fabric and cushion are in great condition, however 
I thought a new fabric would be fun for my clients new bedroom!


1. Locate the screws that are holding the pad on the base of the chair.
This one had 4 total screws that easily removed and the seat quickly popped off!




2. This is the step when you would remove existing fabric from the chair and replace the cushion.
The existing cream fabric has a moisture barrier so I decided to leave it to protect the chair pad.

3. Place the seat on the fabric and cut fabric around the seat of the chair leaving enough fabric on all sides to wrap up each side and adhere to the bottom of the seat cushion. Make sure to think about how you want the fabric pattern to appear on the chair. I wanted to center a large flower aligned at the front center of the seat as you can see below.

4. Tightly wrap the fabric up the front side of the seat so that it is even and just where you want it. Then use a staple gun to adhere fabric to the back of the chair seat. Start stapling at the center and work outward, pulling fabric tightly. I put a staple about every 3 inches or so but you can do more if you want. Next, work on the opposite side, continue to pull the fabric tight.


5. Neatly pleat the corners and staple them down to the backing of the
chair seat so the entire seat is tightly covered and looks tailored.
Here is the new seat...



The fabric has these sweet little lilac colored hearts that coordinate perfectly with the wall color!

And here is the new chair!




What do you think?



I am also working on curtains, a custom bookshelf and a cushion for a chest of toys she has at the end of her bed. I will be posting more projects as they are completed and I am excited to share the final design with you soon! I love designing spaces for children and am always accepting design clients so be sure to send me an email to get information on pricing: Blaiseadkisondesign@gmail.com.

Thank you so much for stopping by!











1 comment:

  1. Super cute chair, Blaise! Hopefully you'll post pictures of the finished room...would love to see! :)

    ReplyDelete