Monday, November 14, 2011

Dream Home

Happy Monday, today I wanted to feature a home designed by architect Tom Kundig, FAIA of Olson Kundig Architects. This home is in Portland, Oregon and it is absolutely stunning! I had the pleasure of meeting Tom Kundig at the gallery opening for the amazing artist and sculptor Harold Balazs (my namesake!) and I have a signed copy of his book, Tom Kundig: Houses. What can I say I am a total fan!

Here are a few words from the man himself:

"The simple, long bar plan and the rhythmical spacing of floor-to-ceiling windows provide a rigorous proportion and rhythm in this Portland house. Views across the main axis – from the courtyard to the south-facing balconies – provide a strong connection to the outdoors.
A lantern-like entry vestibule welcomes visitors to the house from the motor court. The main level includes living areas, an office, and a master suite. From the main level, the landscape slopes down to expose a lower level with a media room, pool room, and guest quarters, as well as a 100-foot library stretching along the entire north wall. The master suite angles away from the rest of the house, taking in the best views and seemingly hanging in the trees."


The views through this house are exquisite, the lines between indoor and out seem to simply disappear.


I love the floor to ceiling windows and creative exterior illumination!


What spectacular views...


Kundig's use of raw metal and wood materials is simple and authentic. 


I love the wall of doors that open from the kitchen to the deck, again drawing a strong connection to the outdoors.


If you like these doors you should check out some of his other projects Here and Here where he plays with scale and came up with a creative new design for a door. I think it's part of his signature style.


This platform bed looks as if it's floating in air. The neutral colors are calming and do not distract from the views out...


The floor to ceiling windows continue into the bathroom. The bench that extends through the shower glass is so cool, I love it.


All photos are from the website of Olson Kundig Architects.

Thank you for checking out this amazing dream home. This home reminds me of the famous quote "Form Follows Function". It brings together form and function and is beautiful in its simplicity and functionality. 
His work is very inspiring to me and I am sure I will feature more of it another day. I would love to hear what you think of it as well!

1 comment:

  1. This home is in Portland? Oh, too fabulous, off to start dreaming...Janell

    ReplyDelete